Even now cohabiting couples do not benefit from the same legal protection or rights granted to married couples or civil partnerships. Many unmarried fathers do not realise that they do not have parental responsibility for their children and many women do not realise that there is no such thing as “common law wife” in England and Wales.

Cohabitees often find out too late that they have few legal rights and limited protection if their relationship breaks down. It is important that, if you are separating from your partner, you receive proper legal advice about your position.  Juliette Kinsey offers legal advice on property and children issues that may arise from the breakdown of your relationship.

If you are considering moving in with your partner or having your partner come and live with you, Juliette can advise you how best to preserve your financial assets and ensure that your financial position is protected. The law governing cohabitees is very different to that which applies in a married relationship. It is sensible, therefore, to take advice about how living with someone or buying a house with your partner may affect your long term financial future. Juliette will be able to advise you about Cohabitation Agreements, Deeds of Trust and what steps you can take to ensure that you are protected in the event that the relationship were to break down in the future.

Legal Services
Civil Partnership
Collaborative Law
Other Services